Ingredients3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 1/2 cups whole milk
3 extra large egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup water
3 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon white vinegar (or cream of tartar)
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Add the milk, egg yolks, zest, and salt and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the citrus juice and butter. Strain into a large bowl.
- Divide the mixture into 6 serving dishes and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate, for at least 3 hours.
- In a small saucepan with a Candy Thermometer bring to a boil the brown sugar and water. While the sugar is coming to the temperature of 238-240 degrees, start to whip the egg whites in a stand mixer on low speed. Once the sugar is nearly done turn the speed on the mixer up to medium-high and get the eggs to soft peaks. When the sugar is to temperature, carefully pour it along the side of the mixing bowl into the egg whites, while the mixer is still on medium speed. Once the sugar is all added, turn the mixer to high and let it beat until the meringue is room temperature, shiny and stiff peaks, about 8-10 minutes.
- Carefully add the meringue to the top. and use a fork to create the spikes on the top. or use a piping bag to create peaks.
- Use a propane torch or the smaller Butane Micro Torch used for cooking to toast the top of the meringue. Refrigerate before serving.