This is a fun project that can be created in a multitude of designs.
Parental supervision is recommended.
What you'll need:
- White craft foam sheet
- Green craft foam sheet
- Craft foam sheets in multiple colors
- 2 liter pop bottle
- Clear plastic lanyard (Rexlace)
- 4 pieces of Purple ribbon (1" wide x 18" long)
- 4 pieces of Yellow ribbon (1" wide x 18" long)
- Hole Punch
- Low temp hot glue gun or "the welder" glue
- Fishing swivel hook
How to make it:
Note: You may need a friend to help you hold the craft foam in place while marking and punching holes in the bottle.
- Cut 2 liter bottle near the bottom where it begins to curve inward.
- Wash and dry 2 liter pop bottle.
- Hole punch down the short side of the craft foam, about 2" apart.
- Take a sheet of green craft foam and wrap around bottle, matching to cut end of bottle. (Note: Put punched edge on top)
- Mark holes with pen where holes are located.
- Remove from bottle and hole punch other short side that is marked.
- Cut a long string of Rexlace.
- Wrap green craft foam around bottle, matching hole punches.
- Tie a double knot in one end of the Rexlace.
- Thread the Rexlace starting at the bottom (near the neck of the bottle) through about 3 holes.
- Mark the remaining holes on to the bottle (under the craft foam).
- Remove the craft foam.
- Carefully using the scissors, punch holes where marked on the bottle.
- Slide craft foam back on to the bottle.
- Lace the Rexlace through the two layers of craft foam and the bottle. Double knot at the end. Cut off excess Rexlace.
- Cut out the fence out of white craft foam sheet. Glue on to the green sheet.
- Cut out bugs, flowers, and any shapes desired out of the different colors of craft foam.
- Glue the shapes together and then on to the windsock.
- Hole punch 8 holes, evenly spaced, around the bottom (neck end) of the windsock.
- Tie a knot on one end of a piece of ribbon. Thread the ribbon through the back of the windsock.
- Repeat for the rest of the ribbon, alternating colors around the windsock.
- Punch 4 holes in the top of the windsock. Note each pair of two should be across from each other.
- Cut 2 pieces of Rexlace about 2 feet long.
- Tie a double knot in one end of a piece of Rexlace. Thread the Rexlace from the inside to the outside.
- Then lace the Rexlace from the outside to the inside of the opposite hole. Tie in a double knot on the inside.
- Repeat for other piece of Rexlace in remaining two holes.
- Attach a swivel fishing hook to the loops.
- Hang and enjoy your windsock!